Income Tax Filing Deadline Today

Today is the deadline to file 2017 income taxes. If you haven't started filing yet, the IRS recommends using e-file or IRS Free File. Doing so reduces tax return errors as the tax software does the calculations, flags common errors, and prompts taxpayers for missing information, according to the IRS.

Filers may request an extension. The easiest way to do that is by visiting Free File on the IRS Web site. Anyone can use the service to electronically request an extension on Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. To get the extension, taxpayers must estimate their tax liability and pay any amount due.

Taxpayers, who are receiving refunds, are encouraged to have their refund deposited directly into their checking or savings account. They can split the deposit between up to three accounts. To track a refund, taxpayers can use the "Where's My Refund?" tool on the IRS Web site or download the IRS2Go app.